Monday, February 11, 2013

At long last

My latest design has been a long time coming.


I fell in love with a stitch pattern in my Japanese stitch dictionary a couple of years ago. I swatched and sketched and charted and plotted and schemed but just could not figure out exactly what I wanted to do with this stitch pattern - I just knew that I wanted to use it somehow!



I finally gave up on the idea of somehow making a triangular shawl out of it. Eventually I took the main element and charted out the mirror image. Then I added a column of alternating eyelets in between repeats. I took the tiny cable pattern that had been between repeats in the original stitch pattern and used it for an edge stitch.


Choosing the yarn was difficult too. Initially I thought I'd use DK weight - I had swatched in tosh dk and liked it. I had this lovely tosh merino dk and a rich russet color that would be gorgeous.


Unfortunately I discovered that purling two together through the back loops is quite difficult with single ply yarn :P I also considered some beautiful deep orange sport-weight from Yarn Chef and even wound it up.


But this wrap just demanded a luxury blend of fibers, so I finally settled on madelinetosh Pashmina in a lovely golden color.


Once I started working on what had become a rectangular stole, I realized it was going to need fringe.


I'm so pleased with the finished stole!

5 comments:

  1. my oh my! this is awesome! I'd love to have half of your skills...
    greetings from still cold and snowy Poland :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an absolute beauty. I don't know when I'll be able to work it into the rotation, but have already bought the pattern. Swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! and I just recently ordered the pattern and have gotten through the first pattern repeat (Rows 1-24). But I did find 3 rows in the written directions (not chart) that have errors. Forgot to bring my pattern to work with me today, but will share with you in the next day or two. You can reach me at pballantyne@freebornpeters.com if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So special and luxurious!

    ReplyDelete