Sunday, February 11, 2007

I'm such an idiot

Seems like lately I do a lot of reknitting. Sometimes just part of the item, this past time, the entire sweater.

I knew I had gauge issues, but since I was making the 40" size and wanted a smaller sweater, I thought it would be okay. I kept checking as I knit, and it seemed okay, but once I got the front and back knit and used the 3-needle bind off to join them, it became obvious things were not going to work out. Unfortunately, I had already knit both sleeves, so they were wasted effort too. Since I had to reknit anyway, I decided to make the changes I had been thinking about as I knit. First, I added an inch of contrasting color to the hem of the body (and will do the same for the sleeves when I get there.) Second, I went up a needle size. Third, I knit the body in the round to the armholes, and then divided it. I shaped the top of the front and back as before, but kept the 2 extra stitches I had on each side on safety pins. Fourth, I kept the back of the neck stitches live instead of binding them off. Fifth, I'm knitting the sleeves from the top down after picking up the stitches. I'm working on the first sleeve now - using Maggie Righetti's method of making a sleeve cap swith short rows. It's looking pretty good so far. The good news is that I think I have enough yarn!

I've made a bit of progress on Argosy, and fringed about 1/3 of the Mohair shawl, but have been consumed by this latest sweater this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment